SNMMCH: Fire in electrical wiring in Pediatric Unit, chaos


A fire broke out in the pediatric unit of Shaheed Nirmal Mahto Medical College and Hospital (SNMMCH) in Dhanbad due to a short circuit late on Thursday night. Due to this, smoke spread in the entire unit. After this, the power supply of the pediatric unit stopped. This incident created chaos here. Patients were taken out from different wards in a hurry. After getting the information, the health workers and the Home Guard jawans cut off the electricity of the building and extinguished the fire with the help of fire extinguishers. According to the relatives of the children admitted here, at around 2 pm on Thursday night, electric wires started burning with noise and smoke spread. Due to the apprehension of untoward incident, the patients, health workers and relatives came out from inside the unit. About 13 newborns were present here during the incident.

shift in neonatal gynecology department of NICU

Inside the Pediatric Unit is the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). Due to power cut, the warmer machines installed in NICU stopped. There were eight infants in the warmer machine at the time of the incident. Immediately she was shifted to her mother in the Gynecology Department. After about an hour the wires were repaired and the newborns were shifted to the warmer in the NICU.

… then there could have been a big accident

During the incident, Ramzan Ali of Govindpur, who was present in the Pediatric Unit, told that the electric wires started burning due to short circuit. The fire was moving towards the ward, when someone cut off the electricity of the building. If the power was not cut on time, a big accident could have happened.

Sarkari Naukri In Jharkhand: Cath Lab will start soon in SNMMCH, 92 doctors will be reinstated

There is a network of wires outside many wards

In SNMMCH, there is a network of electric wires at many places. Dilapidated electric wires will be seen near the ward of CCU, medicine and surgery department of the hospital. Dr. Avinash Kumar, HOD, Department of Pediatrics, SNMMCH, said that the fire broke out on Thursday night due to a short circuit in the electric wires near the entrance of the Pediatric Unit. It was brought under control with the help of health workers. There has been no casualty in the incident. Management has been asked to maintain dilapidated electrical wires in the unit.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here